07 March, 2011

From the Pen of Mera Visi {Novice Broken Leg}

Translated from Keòen to Kevian by Lore Hieldin

One October the 26th, in the 22nd year of the reign of Kalo Freloch [1142]

Today I sit in my small house in Thahro del Mont and reflect on my poor timing and bad judgment from the day previous. I was about an hour's ride northwest of Leena in the small mill town of Telbut Rinwr, atop the magnificent cliffs of dark stone and light grass, looking out over the beautiful Ried Bhroch [Red River], where I had been collecting some of the flora that grew in this majestic place to take back home with me to be studied for my schooling. I was on the east side of the river about 25 measures [about 20 feet] off the ground, which abruptly cut off at the north face, but was carved into a hill and therefore easily accessible with some climbing from the south face. There I sat for a long time, observing the small figures of cityfolk as they walked along the bank toward the mill and back to the town which was to the southwest.

At about mid-day, after I had been upon the cliffs for quite some time, I noticed far off in the distance a young lady. She was alone and stood still for a moment before suddenly falling to the earth. I realized at once that she had been overtaken by the Curse of the Realm and I could feel my eyes glow as I witnessed this. Being a young and still somewhat inexperienced boy, I decided to run straight for her. In retrospect I should have entered the Realm atop the cliff and then made my way to where she lay, helpless and beaten. Instead, however, I was foolish and started running with no heed. As I realized I was approaching the edge of this cliff I blindly jumped, doing a forward roll in the air, realizing midair that I did not know how far away the ground was.

As I felt my feet land, and had that brief security that I was on the ground once more, I took myself into the Realm. However, as it was a long fall and a hard landing, I appeared in the Realm at full falling speed and therefore flew up a few measures off the ground, drawing my blade in midair, and landing hard, which caused me to bend at the knees and nearly fall over. I got up quickly and ran the last couple measures to where the young lady was laying, a nasty beast hovering over her, getting ready to tear her apart. With my sword drawn, I shouted for the beast to halt and retreat. The beast looked at me with eyes of hatred and disgust and I again held my blade out, closer, and with a shout I swung, hitting it in the shoulder. With that, it retreated into the darkness and I bent down to tend to the young lady. Using my blade, I ran it through her soul where it caught the root of the dark soul the beast had implanted in her and with a loud crack, like that of a tree root breaking, the bit of dark soul broke free and dissipated into the air.

I tended to her until she had regained her strength and once she was able, I released her back into the world. I stayed behind, knowing she would be able to easily return to her home, as the attack this day was not too bad and the implanted soul fragment was not deep. I stopped to talk with a fellow Terabikai who had witnessed the event, who chuckled at my ungraceful entrance. With a smile, he bade me leave in peace and learn of my rash mistake. After drawing our blades as the greeting gesture and then putting them away, I shook his hand and then fell back into the world.

Almost immediately, a very strong pain overtook me. I had not noticed it until now, because my soul had gone out of my body to do Terabi's work, but now that I was in the world again I realized that my poor judgment had caused my left leg to become broken. The pain started just below my knee and radiated all the way up to my hip. With a cry I weakly stood and awkwardly made my way across the small bridge that was about 50 measures [40 feet] north of me and with all of my face and upper body tensed I began to walk westward towards home. As I braved the intense pain I was feeling I reflected back on what silly thing had possessed me to jump off the cliff in the first place. It was a painful object lesson, but one that would stay with me. The further I walked the more painful it seemed to be and after about ten minutes of walking slowly and carefully, but with a purpose, towards my village, my vision began to dim and I could see big black spots clouding out everything around me. At this I went back into the Realm to beg for help.

Terabi heard my pleas and was filled with compassion so, using his powers of aura, brought my painful plight to the attention of Key Freyloch, my best friend. He had happened to be out riding when I had not returned as quickly as planned and though he was not a Man of Terabi himself he was definitely of Terabi and could feel the presence and change of various auras. I returned to the world and collapsed to the damp earth, the darkness of pain about to overtake me, when I heard the familiar sound of Key's horse and his voice, calling out. I shouted for him and he appeared by my side shortly after that. He was worried and asked me what had happened but all I could do was sheepishly tell him to wait a minute and that my leg was most certainly broken. He carefully helped me up onto his horse and began to return back to Thahro del Mont. Every step made my leg hurt but I did not care. I was happy enough to be rescued from the long walk home.

As we made our way into the village I was greeted by many, who had also perceived that something was wrong. I told them that I would be all right but would need to visit the doctor, my friend Koli Balthòr. Key took me to my house where I lay, my left leg by now very swollen. As I waited for Koli to arrive, I gathered the strength to mix together a potion that I knew well, one that would ease my pain. This potion was one not taken in drink, but one that was inhaled through smoke or steam. I got my pipe ready and had the stove going with hot water which I was to steam the dried leaves of the Iro herb and the powdered root of the 'Elrhe plant. My parents were both out and wouldn't be home until later so it was just me and Key. Just as it was prepared and ready for me to inhale the steam, the doctor arrived.

He felt around my leg trying to determine how badly it was broken but he said that if I had walked on it this far then it was probably not broken all the way through. Through the pain I heard him tell me that it was likely broken just under the knee- the bone in the front of my leg. He had brought some pieces of fine wood to make a splint with and carefully pulled it into place and wrapped it up with cloth. As he did this, I took the pot of steamy herbs and, fitting the pipe inside, began to inhale. The calming and healing effect of this combination of herb and root worked quickly and effectively to ease the pain of my leg and after receiving a glass vial of another medicine from Koli I carefully went to my bed and let sleep take me. Key stood by to inform my parents upon their return of my unfortunate circumstance resulting from my bad judgment and the doctor left to return to his house and fashion me some walking canes.

A day has now passed and I feel much better. The break in my leg is not very bad and will heal with no lasting effects, except the increased awareness and maturity I have received. I will have to use the walking canes for a week or two but am not exempt from my studies and can continue to pursue all I need to do. The young lady who I saved from the curse was one that I recognized from a few times past- a girl from my village named Aranel Balthòr. She came to visit me and thank me for saving her that day when she traveled alone. We embraced and I told her I would always be there for her when the curse fell upon her.

I have learned that being hasty and not thinking things through can lead to bad judgment and painful consequences. Doing a forward roll off a cliff is something I will never do again. Mark my words, as I wrote them with this pen.

Sincerely,

Mera Visi, son of Trevin Loreloch

No comments: