01 December, 2011

Visi Aranel

The following is a folk tune that tells the tale of someone traveling to Aranel Ieni-Sar in the night and meeting the ghost of Aranel there, listening to her sad tales. It follows this melody:

Enjoy this piece I wrote in my literature class today, complete with annotations!

Visi Aranel1

While trav’ling through the Forests Dark
Beneath the Twilight moon
I knew what I was looking for
Traversing since high noon
I waded through
Y Ried Bhroch2
It felt not cold to me
I traveled onward through the trees
Within my hands a Key
3

A key of curious craftsmanship
Made to unlock the night
Made by the hands of that Balthòr
4
To fill the space with light
And as I traveled further
The lantern shining bright
The evidence of what I sought
Crept slowly to my sight

And not unlike
Aradd-Aurore5
This place was
nos osield6
And as I faced an olden tree
A figure I beheld!
She was as they had spoken
I quickly realized—
The blue visage of Aranel
Now shone before my eyes!

She had a look of sorrows past
A yearning to be free
And as I stood ten measures
7 back
She spake these words to me:
Ɇ nan da sarlan eddryd
Ɇ patho Kina rai
O abindar nia Amahryd
Tho Kina otelwr!8

We stood conversing in the grove
Until the morning sun
And of her stories of time past
She told me by the one
9
I listened with intention
I wrote on parchments three
As I retired back to home
I took this tale with me.


1. The Vision of Aranel 2. The River Red, a major river in Jadali that passes through several major cities including Leena. 3. Lantern 4. Danil Balthor, a double master of art metals, who made ornate lanterns among other things. 5. Aradd-Aurora, Seers' Forest, the forested village west of Leena. 6. Illuminated by moonlight, giving it an aura of darkness and mystery. 7. About 8.5 feet. 8. "I am a harmless spirit who awaits my turn; may I live in Heaven with my family someday." 9. "By the one" is the Catin expression for "one by one."

No comments: