29 September, 2008

A Kiillaanian Establishment Explained

Anyways, this one all started from a simple TV show blooper. I was watching this show called ZOOM that used to be on PBS. It was a cool show- 7 kids were handpicked and would put on plays, do science experiments, play games, and the like. They did everything! It was kinda like a show to give people ideas for Girl Scouts, Girl's Camp, Summer Camp, Sibshops, you get the idea. Well one day they had a "blooper reel" special on and one of the guys was supposed to say Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. What came out of his mouth was, "Pittsburgh, pencil-tonia." It was started. Pyncyltonia was born.

Now that I had a "state" I set about to put it into a country. I have no clue where Kiillaana came from but it sounded good enough to have states in it... This country, unlike Catarika being based of a cat, was based off the US. If you look a a drawing you'll see how everything fits together. I decided that Pyncyltonia was going to be the state that I was to live in, therefore it is located in the same vicinity as Idaho. I needed a good capital, and the name I chose for it is an obvious homage to somehting familiar (well, to some...). Based off of my interests and obsessions at the time, the capital of Pyncyltonia is the name of a real amusement park in Pennsylvania- Kennywood. This is one I made no efforts to disguise (unlike Nialli and Zirin). Therefore, several events take place in Kennywood.

While Pyncyltonia was the starting state, I did have two ideas in the works many years before. I can verify that the states of New Gypsy and Properties of Noame are about 8 years older than Pyncyltonia. Here is how I came up with them:

I once had a computer game that had puzzles of the regions of the United States. Whenever a state was placed correctly, or when it was clicked on, a voice would announce the name of the state. I don't remember which state it was, but every time I would look at it I could not remember its name! I would always call it "New Gypsy" and so when I put the early states together New Gypsy had to be included.

Properties of Noame came about in a different way. There was a school in our neighborhood, and although I never attended it because I went to a year-round school instead, we would go there to play on the playground equipment. Like any school, it had two street entrances. We would always use the closest one, and one day I discovered the other entrance, which was on the other side of the school. I thought going home by using that street exit was cool beans! I made up some elaborate story about how it was a gateway to something and it was called Properties of Noame. I must've been in like first or second grade when that came about! Therefore, I included it too although the resulting state is so small that people usually refer to only its capital, Kaytue. PON is unique also because it lies completely inside Pyncyltonia. The way I explained it was that the city of Kaytue got so big that it became a city-state and six surrounding suburbs joined it. The name of the capital has its own story. When I'd hear "Hey Jude" on the radio I thought they were saying K2. An idea for a city name was born!

Over the years, many other states were added to Kiillaana giving it 40 39 in all, although about 10 of them are really coastal islands, which means there are a lot less that 40 in the actual country (like how Hawaii and Alaska are to the US).

An old map:

No comments: