29 July, 2011

Mini Chapter: Two Alike Meet

This chapter takes place in late January of 2011.

She unfolded the worn paper kept in her right pocket for probably the 10th time, studying it carefully even though she had practically memorized the writing on it. I look silly, she thought to herself, everyone is going to know I'm new around here. She pushed her long black hair behind her right shoulder with the back of her right hand and nervously fiddled with the blue strap of her messenger bag. I'm nowhere near able to find it, she thought, anxiety and nervousness creeping through her. Maybe I should ask someone... but who? Everyone looks like they're focused on going to class, she thought. Someplace they know, she added sarcastically. Gosh, is this some sort of evil trick? I made it to math and language arts ok...

She was about to start following people when something lime green caught her eye. She spun around and saw that it was a skirt with an interesting magenta trim. Looking up she saw that it belonged to a very tall girl, at least as tall as me, she thought, who was also wearing a loose-fitting, fuzzy, hand-knit sweater in the same unique colors, a large and light green scarf, a large beanie covering her head and, she looked down, black boots! This green and magenta girl was looking just as confused as her and also appeared to be slightly lost at the confusing layout of the art building. Suddenly, she turned and their eyes met. It was as if they were sharing common knowledge without speaking and she began to walk over to where she stood.

"Hey, are you looking for Intro to Art?" she asked, in a light but confident voice.

"Yeah! Yeah, actually I am! Do you know where it is?"

Great relief washed over her as she realized she wasn't the only one confused by the layout and walked quickly over, meeting her halfway from where they both had stood.

"Haha, no. I have no idea! I'm totally lost!"

"Join the club," the first girl laughed.

"Well then let's be lost together! Come on, let's go this way," said the lime and magenta girl cheerfully. They took out their schedules again and started down a long hallway and after stopping a teacher and finally figuring out where to go ("Ohhhhh it's over in that part of the building!") began to walk quickly there.

"I'm Willow," said the lime and magenta girl, "What's your name?"

"Oh! I'm Rowena Zira. I come from Falitonia.

"Falitonia! Wow that's kind of far, isn't it? Aren't there mountains all over?"

"Haha, yes indeed! I'm from this really mountainy town almost on the border of Baydi called Arjiona. I'm so glad that there's mountains here too. I'd probably die with flat scenery."

"Arjiona... I've heard of it actually. We passed through it earlier and went skiing. It's such a cute little town!"

"Wow! You've actually been there?" Rowena exclaimed, her eyes wide, "Most people have no idea where it is. That's a first! ...And yes, it does have some great skiing and lovely lodges in the winter, which lasts from September to May."

They both laughed. "Oh yes we went just a month ago around New Year's Festival and it was great! I loved the little center square surrounded by all those lovely peaks. It was like it's a portal in the middle of mountains. Such good food too..."

"Well where are you from, Willow?" asked Rowena.

"Oh, I'm from a city called Starry in the Lost Islands."

"Wait, you mean the Land of Nature?" Rowena exclaimed. Suddenly Willow's unique name made sense.

"Yes! Exactly! I'm from Isle del Akai though most here call it the Hippie Island. I've rarely heard it called the Land of Nature; most call it Red Island. I was going to school in Kesly but their music program is... going through a lot of changes right now... and my husband got a scholarship to the music program here so we decided to ditch Kesly and come here... Wait, are you also a transfer student?"

"Well, sort of," Rowena explained, "I was homeschooled because of my location and things and I didn't quite finish in time for fall and had to take some tests first so I'm starting a semester late. I'm pretty much caught up though since I took a couple online classes and tested out of some other things. This is my first semester on this campus and I'm finally about ready to go."

"Oh nifty!" said Willow, smiling. As they were climbing some stairs she asked, "So... what's your major?"

"Art. Art with a focus on ceramics though I do enjoy art metals as well. How about you?"

"Well, I'm technically a double major. I'm doing general music and play flute in the band and I'm also planning on majoring in drawing and painting. As you can see, I love color," she said with a smile.

They finally found the classroom that had almost hidden from them completely and entered, walking to an open table in the back where they sat and continued to talk to each other while also taking notes. From that moment on, when they were both lost together, they became fast friends and quickly became inseparable. Rowena was happy to find a close friend far from home and Willow was excited to have an art major friend who liked unique fashion as much as her.

No comments: