08 July, 2011

Spotlight on: Fiara May

Full Name: Fiara Osanya May
Birthday: July 8, 1993
Method of Creation: #3- She was from the Fall 2100 Newcomer Series. Arguably #1 as well as I've wanted to use this name somewhere for a while.

Creation Story:

Fiara is a name I have always really liked. I don't know what its origins are but I got it from a character on the game Runescape. I've loved it ever since and have a certain vision that I see of a bright, fiery personality with sharp eyes and flowy hair. The name sounds Catin to me so it became Catin for "brightly energetic" or something to that effect. I already used it in Oja & Cameron Diamond's daughter's name (Marina Fiara Diamond) even!

Those who know me well know that I love medical things and things about people that are different. If you look deeply enough almost everyone has something considered "wrong" with them. It's just who I am and I love things that make people unique with a story to tell.

Anyway I was making a list (haha, like I so often do) and a few years back I made small sketches of about 5 people and named them, labeling them as the newcomers to the KU Music Department as freshmen (or transfers/grad students). I decided to do that again this year for the 11-12 year and hopefully integrate them in. This time I drew 8 and then later came up with a few more. As time goes on they're all changing so it will be fun to see who is left when I get around to writing it all.

I decided that I really wanted to introduce a girl with Albinism. I've known someone with it in the past (although I just assumed he had really blonde hair) and came across some vlogs of someone with it and decided that I wanted to put my perspective on it. I drew my best picture (I'm not so good at drawing both girls and light hair) of her and let a story formulate.

She ended up being a beautiful girl with a body just like mine (short [about 5'5''], curvy, filled out in the right places) with long white hair, beautiful pale skin, light blue eyes, and an eccentric sense of style. She takes great care of her skin and it's closer to white and not very pink or red. She is definitely legally blind and wears thick black plastic framed glasses and uses a mini telescope to see the board in class. She wears mascara and dyes her eyebrows to "give her eyes some dimension" and wears bright red lipstick and often does her hair in braids. Her favorite color is icy blue and she often wears handmade earrings with bronze or darkened silver metal and icy blue beads. She has a calm and light way about her, with a whispery higher voice and a soft smile, and speaks volumes with color more than words.

A short while after I had this list down I ended up embarking on a journey that I haven't gone on before and start writing an actual book, or something close to it. It's currently called the Lochgren Series and follows the two main characters through an adventure. I made the decision to include Fiara in this story and it soon became apparent that she was going to be a pretty major part of this story and plan to expand on her even more. She ends up meeting Moira at freshman orientation and they find out that they both play flute. She is described through Moira's eyes and the two become best friends.

I've always seen Fiara as really artsy and proud of her icy features so she dubbed herself the Ice Queen and dressed like royalty beauty much of the time. She explains this to Moira and then she fleshes out a bit when she tells Moira that she is really half Catin and that her color "melted out of her." She is first introduced by speaking Catin to an international student which Moira overhears.

From there I thought about her some more and decided on some things. She has a Catin mother, likely from Catarika, and a Kiillaanian father. Her father works very far away (stationed overseas in the military) and is only home two months of the year and she has an older sister 9 years older than her who is grown up and raising a family of her own. Fiara is very close to her mother and they do a lot of things together. She is also close to her father and even though he cannot be home much they write almost weekly. Her sister lives in Catarika and they all meet together for Harvest Festival. Both Fiara and her sister are fluent in Catin and have put it to good use many times. Fiara loves to travel with her mother and enjoys studying the art and fashion of different regions.

Fiara has been playing flute "since she can remember" and likely started in 5th or 6th grade. She is extremely talented as a musician and was principal flute of her regional honor band as well as statewide groups. She really liked the piccolo and plays it whenever she gets the chance. She can also play piano and is good at picking an instrument up and playing it. She is planning to study music performance and probably minor in art. She is excited to start college and can't wait to see what adventures she goes on.

I'm also really excited to see how she develops as the Lochgren Series gets written!

5 Fun Facts:

1. Fiara loves "loud" clothing
2. Her favorite place in the world is the land around Kaisi, where there's always snow
3. She lives with her mom and they're the best of friends
4. She is very into Catin culture and loves visiting every few years
5. She can also sing very well and wants to be in the choir

No comments: