19 December, 2010

How I Go About Naming People

Some people have a particular way of naming their children. The most obvious one, and the one that I personally happen to like the least, is when people name their kids with the same first letter. For whatever reason, 9 times out of 10, that letter is K. Why K? Probably because lots and lots of names begin with K as opposed to everything else. I do recall one family with all A's but I can think of like 4 more where it's all K's. Some even go as far as to making their names have the same number of letters. This is new to me and while I don't personally like it, it works and in the end it looks pretty cool. What I really don't like is random, odd deviations from the normal spelling to achieve however many letters or just to look trendy. I'm pretty old school and like things standard.

There in no real obvious second one. There's definite themes like all Biblical names, a common meaning, alphabetical order, and one that I find pretty cool- when twins' names are anagrams of each other (like Aidan and Nadia)...

When I go about making families, I usually have a theme. If there is none, it's usually because the siblings' names are after other people (whether of my choosing or seeing it through their eyes as their choosing). Since not every person I create is just like me, names or naming rules do not follow my opinion. It's kind of cool that since I can sense auras I an also sense of names that would fit into their personality. One name may be a terrible fit for one family but the perfect fit for another. As I come across names that I like one of the first things that comes to mind is "Whose family would this name fit under?" Of course, I also make up names, some of which go on to become hugely popular in certain of my cultures. A lot of these names take Latin and Greek roots, even though in my world these languages do not exist. I simply have to find another language and explanation for where they came from, which usually ends up being Keòen because it's such a beautiful language.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite families with pretty unique naming rules. Some I had in mind to start and some happened after I'd established about half and noticed the pattern. First, let's take a look at the future family of Cobra and Haven Vice, as that one is my favorite:

I haven't posted Haven's big story yet but she is from Catarika and married a man from Isle Del Akai. Because he is a hippie, he has an animal name like most. This whole family is barely beginning to play out, as the first of these 6 isn't born yet. However, the basic outline of their story is mapped out and I have all 6 of their names. The oldest of these boys is named Sidry. He is named this because Haven took her cousin Cedric out of Catarika and into Kiillaana to break him free of the drab mental institution where he was somewhat imprisoned. He finally got a new chance at life but sadly passed away just a year later. Haven and Cedric were born on the same day, 11 years apart, and as it will turn out, Haven's baby boy will also share that birthday and they all believe that he is a special gift from Cedric himself, having many of his characteristics. She didn't want to name him Cedric, because he is not Cedric, so she changed it a bit and named him Sidry, which is a form of the name Sethery which is Keòen for snake.

At first this was going to be her only child but as I started following adoption blogs I realized that she would be a part of this. She ended up adopting 3 boys with the same condition as Cedric and as I was trying to find the perfect names for them I decided to give Haven another son named Jeffrey, as that is my favorite name. The oldest of the 3 adopted boys I named Cayman and after drawing him know exactly of his story. It was then that I realized that her biological boys had names ending with -ry and wanted her adopted boys to follow Cayman and end with -en. After lots of deliberation the perfect names came into view and the complete set of the 6 Vice boys is Sidry, Cayman, Jeffrey, Holden, Draven, and Emery. I felt so awesome when I realized of this cool name code!

Next, take Augustus Kye. Every single boy in that family has a name that ends with -son. Out of the 6 boys, 2 go by their middle name, and Augustus is obviously one of them. There are also 2 girls but they do not follow any particular set of rules so you have Robinson, Jameson, Harrison, Jason (Augustus), Danielle, Tyson (Lucas), Wilson, and Brittany. There are many Kye families nearby but none have such a theme and it is therefore unique to Blaze and Rayleen.

Some families are so small it's really unclear if the naming rules would continue or if it just happened. Take the brothers Peak for instance. There's just two of them but their names both start and end the same. Their parents did go a step further and made their middle names both metals so you have Jeremy Stanton Peak and Jeffrey Ferrous Peak. I really liked this and it works well for just the two of them.

Going along with that sort of theme we have Lesko and Avicile Mohaili Diamond and their (eventual) children. They both decided that they were going to have a gem theme. For some it's their middle name that carries the gem but all but one have this theme. The one that doesn't is named after his uncle, because I always do things like that. I won't share their names as this is a story totally meant for an ongoing blog but the oldest boy is called Sterling. They did end up with 8 children so bear with me that the theme is in there!

For some the theme is something uniquely their own. All the names go through an aggressive screening process and the ones that are to be used will just pop into my head. I have some great ones for future families and often use homages and cross references and the like. Crazy I know but I got it all visualized in my head. :D

That's about all. I'll keep you posted if I remember any more.

No comments: