10 February, 2011

Winterwood Asks {Collection 1}

Winterwood has a very unique and pure soul and enjoys asking a question every week at her lesson with Dr. Sorela. Here is a small collection of questions she has asked him and his answers.

Q. What was your first language?
A. I grew up speaking full-bodied Keòen. Because of my father we often spoke together in Catin, but I was already pre-ordained to speak the language because of the Gift of Osai so I did not actually have a need to learn it. I learned Kevian through my early schooling.

Q. Did you ever visit Kiillaana as a youth?
A. Yes I did and oft. My age would often take the ferry to Taleah and explore that part of our country's history. We also traveled as far down as Alles, Annermatl, and Kaywood to learn about things there. I distinctly remember going to Tevernid on at least one occasion as well.

Q. Did you ever visit Catarika as a youth?
A. Yes. I traveled every two years or so by boat all the way from Jadali to Morley Atoll and then southeast to Catarika. It was here I visited Osai's Palace and learned much about him. I also met Yehai Sorela and Drakon Visai while I was there in Rihanu, and Zabi Mohola when we once traveled to Saslu to visit some relatives. I quite enjoyed my visits which were in the summer months and we always took a Terabikai with us to watch over me.

Q. When did you start playing? What moved you to choose the oboe?
A. Music is the most important aspect of our life. I always heard some sort of music every day and it was common and great fun when groups of us would gather together and sing. Because of my unique being I often wandered the caves and buildings of Leena and would sing alone. I was quite fond of woodwind instruments and my favorite above all else was the oboe. I loved the way it sounded and I received one as a gift from my father when I was about 5 years old after I inquired about it and spoke at length to Isiador Kielan, a musician in town. I was filled with happiness and after he showed me how to play I would take it with me when I wandered alone at night. Playing it made me feel free and I felt as though I was one with it. Some days I would play for hours trying to recreate that beautiful timbre that I heard from the musicians in town and when I was in my room unable to walk I would always have it with me and play until I could play no more.

Q. What was your early schooling like?
A. Well, the day started just after sunrise. The city of Leena has a bell tower that struck with the hour and there was a vast campus that we would go to. We are sorted by year of birth so I was actually one of the younger ones. Because I do not sleep I would often return home in the early light to wash and put on my nice clothing. I remember learning horseback and crafting but my favorite times of all were Jadali History, Catin History, Music Class, and Calligraphy. I felt at one with history and quite enjoyed learning about Osai and his hand in my life. I also had an innate desire to learn all I could about Terabi as well, seeing as I had the Curse of the Realm, because I wanted to find answers as to why I had a gift and a curse. Music was also a very nice part of the day, where I got to truly be free from my troubled mind. I learned all the songs of the times and also often got to play in the wind ensemble. Calligraphy was also a favorite because I got to read firsthand the journals of Mera Visi, who I connected with on a more personal level. It was here I learned my crests- Sorela of my father and Ardin of my mother. I was often unable to leave my room due to the curse being too prevalent in me but I would lay and ponder the things which I had learned prior.

Q. Did you really have the actual Curse of the Realm or was it something similar, knowing that you are actually a Man of Terabi?
A. I did indeed have the actual curse, the same spoken of by Mera Visi, the same curse that inflicted Aranel Balthor among others. However upon being forced into the Realm I always felt an unusual peace and calm, like I was meant to be there. However, like all others with the curse I had no control of my body so I could not simply get up and leave on my own. This thought often stayed in my mind, confirmed by Osai, until I was old enough to experience that great act that made me a Man of Terabi.

Q. Did Mera Visi ever save you in the Realm?
A. Yes he did and I knew it was him. He looks exactly like his statue depicts him. He once whispered to me that I would become something great.

Q. Did you ever suspect that you may be the person spoken of by Men of Osai past that would have both gifts?
A. Indeed I did, many times, especially after comparing my feelings in the Realm as compared to the writings of Aranel Balthor as well as living people of the curse. I always had a powerful aura of trust about me and from a young age realized that I could clearly sense the auras of others. However, Osai did not make this known to me and I often pondered if this could really be possible, seeing as only one person in the history of the world would ever accomplish this. Now was as good of a time as ever and it was not made known to any of the Osanokai, even hints, until it actually happened.

Q. What were you like as a youth?
A. I was quite jumpy and twitchy, a far cry from my changed state now. The curse struck me often and I was often drained or injured and could not leave my house. I healed very quickly however and did not miss much schooling. I was very quiet and withdrawn, as most Osanokai are, but I was even more so. I enjoyed nothing more than wandering the forests in the moonlight and walking through the series of caves placed so lovingly under the hills. I can see in total darkness so I would go where light could not reach and sing or play my oboe until I realized I must return home for school. I was always tall and definitely had a very dark personality, but would use my quiet nature for good and enjoyed helping others.

Q. Who were your friends growing up?
A. My closest friend was Meiro Freloch, the Man of Terabi who was present at my violent initiation of Terabi Tana. He would watch over me closely and naturally we talked much and did many things together. He was about six years my senior and therefore also was able to help me with things in school. Many of the children shied from my terrible curse which I did not mind, especially as I was content to be alone. However there was a girl who lived nearby that would come over to sing with me. Her name was Airi Hieldin, and much later she would become my beautiful wife. I enjoyed her company in the few years that she lived in Jadali, for she too was from Taleah like I, and lived there much of her youth. There were others, classmates, but I didn't really spend much time with them, as I was so often in bed. I do remember archery with Riedlan Lochmont, however. He was a good man.

Q. Did you ever feel like you would ever leave Jadali?
A. Yes, I always felt like I would not stay in Jadali all my life. I had made the decision fairly early on that I wound become a musician so I would need to go to high school in Kiillaana to get into a music school. It was also made known to me by Osai that I would leave, but that my ties would still be deep and I would be forever familiar with it.

Q. Does your oboe have a name?
A. Yes it does. I thought many a day about it and finally the name came to mind. It is called Omeiro, meaning "friend" in Keoen.

This will likely become a series as she always has a great question in mind when she goes to her lesson. It is these questions that has deepened their friendship. Winterwood Rivers, as well as her husband and son, are included among his closest friends. Dr. Sorela has been appointed as young Riedlan's "God Father" and is like a grandfather to him. He has been appointed this role for Winterwood and Eagle themselves as well, as they live quite far from their families in the Lost Islands.

No comments: