29 January, 2012

From the Pen of Mera Visi {Iaso's Death}

Translated from Keòen to Kevian by Lore Hieldin

One September the 2nd, in the 51st year of the reign of Kalo Freloch [1171]

They say that some of the best artists are the ones with the shortest day.

I've always known that the sun of life is setting much faster on my friends than me. Being a Terabikai, I know exactly when the sun will set on my life and I oft forget that the same knowledge does not hold true for anyone else except the Eldin. It further confirms to all who know me that Terabi and Osai both do not disclose everything that is to happen.

It is with heavy heart, on behalf of all of Leena, that Iaso Montàlo, son of Seo Montàlo, has gone the way of the sun in the very early hours of this day. He left his house sometime in the night, unaware of his surroundings and only in the company of his mind so awry, and ran down the rocky coast straight into the Mor Kean [Cayan Ocean]. It was along this abrupt and deep shore that his life ended and he was finally freed from the unsound mind that had caused so much pain, fear, and darkness to befall himself and all those around him.

In the early hours of morning he was discovered missing. Akèli looked all over the house and went down to the anvils, all the while hoping that he would be there, but knowing deep in her heart by the aura of Terabi that he was no longer on the earth. Both Kalo and I awoke from horrible dreams and knew in our hearts as well that something grave had happened. As soon as Akèli ran to my house with Kalo behind her, clearly distraught, I knew that Iaso had died. They did not know where he was but there was a certain eerie feeling of a soul gone from earth that all could feel. We immediately sent word throughout Leena that Iaso had gone missing and everyone that was able immediately set out to find him.

It was Ehry Freloch, the old woman who tended to the baths of the Ried Bhroch who found his body, safely resting on the sands of the coast, looking as if asleep, a look of final contentment on his wearied face. As we heard her cries and came running, I realized two things: firstly, that he was gone, and secondly that Terabi was the one who had laid him there, careful that his earthly shell would remain reverent and not lost at sea. I would later discover this to be Iaso's last wish-- that his body would be visible and in perfect form, not disfigured by the waves of the sea. By Kalo's vision, Iaso had left his home in the night shortly after all had gone to bed with the intent of going to the anvils but had again been overtaken by his broken mind and had run about a mile west, through the shallow waters of the Ried Bhroch, and down the grassy embankment to the small bit of shallow coastline that bordered the sharp cliffs of Dahsir. From here he entered the waters, still running without thought, past the point where the shallow waters suddenly drop. Still having no light, the waves and currents swallowed him up and it was at this place that the sun set on his life.

As those who were close to him arrived upon the scene, the cold aura of tragic death loomed above their heads. Knowing I could see him whether he was alive or not, I managed to hold my composure until Iaso's three children were brought down by their grandfather. It was then that Akèli ran to them shouting "He's gone! He's gone and he's not coming back!" Upon hearing her pained words and feeling so clearly of her grief and shock, the full realization that one of my closest friends was gone struck my all at once.

As she ran to the earthly shell of her husband to have a moment with him, I excused myself and fell to my knees, appearing in the comfort of the Realm. I stood, not entirely sure where to go. A feeling crossed my heart that I should go to the Gatherer's Hall and almost immediately I felt the unmistakable aura of Iaso, knowing that he was already there. I arrived seconds later and ran somewhat blindly towards the Hall of Windows. As soon as I reached the gardens however I saw him. There, to the left of the path, just in front of the marble steps leading inside the palace stood Iaso Montàlo. He had been restored to a state unmarred by his illness and his eyes twinkled as he looked at me with a soft, knowing grin. For the first time in my life, and for the first time in a long while for him, he was filled with life that flowed from him with no carnal restrictions. He stood tall and trim, his hands outstretched, and as I stood about ten measures back he bade me come forward. All sadness of his passing from earth left my heart and we ran towards each other, embracing and rejoicing in the perfection of his soul.

It was a while before I could speak, as I was overcome with emotion- gratitude that I was a medium and could visit anyone at any stage of their existence, sadness that nobody else had this power, happiness that Iaso was finally freed from his ailment, and riddled with questions. I started with the ones I knew that his family would want to know. He started by confirming what Kalo had seen and then began to answer all I could think to ask. The most comforting answer was to my question of if his death hurt. He smiled and simply stated:

"I didn't feel a thing. The last I remember was arising to finish some art pieces and then an immense vision to conquer the sea. The next thing I know, I was still and I could hear the hum of life itself. As I arose I was at first panicked and somewhat angry, realizing that I had died. However, almost as soon as I realized where I was, Terabi himself came to greet me. He knew of my state and calmed me, bidding me rise. I asked him to please place my body on the shore where it would be found undisturbed and he did so. Then he led me into the Realm of Aura where he knew it would be my desire to meet you here. While we waited for Leena to discover me dead I was treated to Gatherer's Hall and got to see wonderful art of mine and others and even got to read some literature to help piece my life together from the perspectives of others. Though my heart aches for my wife and children, being here feels as natural as life itself and I have never felt so free. Please tell them all of these things when you leave and tell my wife that I love her so much and that I will visit her through the Realm of Dreams."

I have been so fortunate as to remember these details clearly and have been able to write them down to look back upon. After we talked for a while I bade him farewell and returned to earth where I was again faced with the grief of an entire country in mourning. It is now late at night. Naidel and Jeffrey are both awake and weeping at the loss of such a treasured friend and artist. I have repeated the words which Iaso spoke to me to his lovely Akèli which has brought her some peace and comfort. A funeral pyre raft is being built and the earthly shell of Iaso lies in slumber in Dahsir Castle. It is common tradition, carrying over from our Catin cousins, that those who were inhibited by carnal defects are burned on a pyre to release their pure soul. Since he died at sea he is going to be burned at sea in a full, reverent, and loving ceremony.

To my dearest Iaso Montàlo, who has gone to the Realm of Souls much too soon at the age of 33, you will be forever loved and missed by all that knew you. Also, though nobody else could know this but me and Kalo, I even saw the ghost of Aranel among the rocks, grieving with everyone else. She will miss you most of all, as it will be a long time before she can see you again.

In loving memory of Iaso Eahron Montàlo, born on one 7 March in the 18th year of the reign of Kalo Freloch [1138] in Carohir, Montàlo and who went the way of the setting sun on one 2 September in the 51st year of the reign of Kalo Freloch [1171] in Leena, Freloch.

By the ink on this page we will visit oft.
Love,
Mera Visi

No comments: